3. July 2013 10:35
When considering a company to kick off our July Made in America sale, Lodge was the obvious choice. While cast iron cookware has been used worldwide for hundreds of years, we still think of the cast iron skillet as an American icon - as versatile, hardworking, and durable as the Americans that have used them.
Founded in 1896, Lodge Cookware Company is still based in South Pittsburg, TN and led by two descendants of the original founder, Joseph Lodge. A commitment to innovation, employee support and environmental responsibility has allowed Lodge to prosper through two World Wars and the Great Depression.
Here are some things we love about Lodge Cast Iron:
Their Lodge Logic line is pre-seasoned. If you've ever accidentally filled your home with smoke while attempting to season a brand new cast iron pan, you realize the sheer genius of this.
Because of their commitment to quality and the environment, you know you're getting a pure Cast Iron pan. What does that mean?
- The pan will heat up at a consistent temperature and maintain that high, constant, heat throughout the cooking process. This makes cast iron the ideal medium for frying, searing, and creating perfectly crispy cornbread.
- You can put the pan on the stove, in the oven, on the grill, or directly into a campfire. No need to worry about whether impurities in the metal will leach into your foods at certain temperatures.
- The cast iron is so durable that it will last for generations. Seriously - some of our customers have century old cast iron pans that they still use every day.
- Once you season it, it is naturally nonstick. No PTFEs to worry about, no nagging your kids to use non-metal spatulas, no dousing the pan in globs of butter just to fry some eggs.
- Cooking in a cast iron skillet is a great way for vegetarians (or anyone, really) to increase their iron intake without having to take nasty supplements (yes this has been scientifically proven).
Check out our Lodge Cast Iron Cookware - 15% off for the entire month of July!